I love classic taco combinations, like:
- hard shells, ground beef, cheese, and salsa, or
- soft flour tortilla, chicken, black beans and guacamole tacos
But I also love experimenting with new types of tacos. My rule of thumb: if you like all the fillings and think they will taste good together, it will probably make a good taco! It’s like make your own pizza but with tortillas instead of pizza dough.
As any reader of my blog already knows, I love roasting veggies – carrots, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, asparagus? You name it, I’ve roasted it. Corn and cauliflower are certainly no exceptions, and so I set out to make a taco around this veggie-pair. I tossed the corn and cauliflower in a little oil and coated them evenly with taco spices like chili powder and cumin. I roasted them in the oven until the corn was blackened and the cauliflower was tender and golden brown.
I used small corn tortillas for these tacos, but you can use flour tortillas or hard taco shells. You can even bake the small corn tortillas to make them more like tostadas.
Top these tacos with your favorite Mexican toppings. My absolute favorite is fresh avocados. If you don’t have any ripe avocados, I’d recommend using guacamole instead. It will add that great avocado taste along with a little extra jalapeño, lime, and cilantro flavor. Salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese, lime juice, and cilantro topping will also all be delicious – let you taste buds guide you 🙂
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into bite sized florets (Leave out the thick stem)
- 16 ounces by weight corn -- can use fresh, canned (drained), or frozen
- ¼ cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6-8 corn tortillas
- Diced avocado or guacamole
- Lime juice
- Chopped cilantro
- Sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine cauliflower pieces and corn, set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together olive oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Pour over cauliflower and corn and toss until well coated. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast in oven until cauliflower is tender and golden brown, about 30-40 minutes.
- When cauliflower and corn are done, warm tortillas in microwave until softened and easy to bend, about 20 seconds. Fill with roasted cauliflower and corn. Top with avocado, lime juice, cilantro, and any other of your favorite toppings. Serve immediately.