I’m up at a conference in Vancouver this week enjoying the spectacular mountain/water views right from the convention center. I have a couple of public speaking tasks at the conference so wish me luck! The recipe I’m sharing today is from Two Peas and Their Pod. It’s a delicious and simple sweet potato salad that I’ve been making for years. In the rare occasion I have a grill on hand, I make it just the way they do. But since I usually dwell in the land of no-grilling-allowed apartments I’ve adapted it here so you can make it right in your kitchen, simply by roasting the sweet potatoes and corn in your oven 🙂
Like many roasted vegetable recipes, begin by coating thick slices of sweet potato with olive oil, salt and pepper. Although the skins can be delicious, I find their texture too rough for this delicate salad. A potato peeler works well to remove the skins and eyes prior to slicing.
If you have access to a grill, charring the corn adds complexity to the flavors. I prefer to char corn on the grill using only a thin layer of husk. The thin husk keeps the kernels moist, but not too far from the flame. If a grill is not available, the corn can also be roasted in the oven with the sweet potatoes.
Once fully cooked and charred, chop the sweet potatoes into cubes, and, if you haven’t already, use a sharp knife to cut the kernels from the cob. Sliced red and orange peppers add a welcome splash of color. The cooked black beans add heft, and can be delicious with this dish. I left them out here to lighten the dish, but have made it many times both ways. If using canned beans, be sure to drain and rinse the beans prior to mixing them into the salad.
If this recipe had a secret ingredient (it doesn’t), it would be cubed avocados. The avocados add a refreshing coolness, in both color and texture. If you have time, let the avocados sit for about 5 minutes with a little salt sprinkled on them before combining with the rest of the salad. You definitely won’t regret it!
A handful of chopped green onion, fresh cilantro, and a sprinkle of lime juice complete the salad. Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Sweet Potato Salad
- 1 lb sweet potatoes pealed and sliced into thick slices
- 1 ear of corn husked with kernels removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 avocados skin and pit removed, chopped
- 1 red pepper seeds removed and chopped
- 1 orange or yellow pepper seeds removed and chopped
- ¼ cup green onions chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, corn kernels, olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss to fully coat. Arrange potatoes and corn in a single layer on a backing sheet. Roast until fully cooked and golden brown, about 20 minutes flipping once in the middle. Set aside to let cool.
- Once sweet potatoes and corn are cool, sprinkle avocado pieces with a little salt and let sit for about 5 minutes. While waiting, cube sweet potatoes.
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, corn, avocado, bell peppers, green onions, and cilantro. Top with lime juice, salt and pepper, and stir to coat completely. Enjoy!
This is a 2Teaspoons indoor version of a Two Peas and Their Pod recipe