Each year, as October gets underway, I always start thinking about all the things that make fall wonderful. Not only is it the sights, smells, and tastes, but it’s also the excitement in the air as kids head back to school and everything gets moving again. Gone are the lazy, hot afternoons of summer, replaced by the cool, brisk action of a new school year.
Recipes like this one also make fall wonderful. Not only are these bowls healthy, hearty, and easy to make, but they also will travel well on all of your fall adventures. They are bursting with the bold flavors and colors of fall. When I first made these bowls they were such a hit in our home that we ate them for lunch for five weeks straights! Yep, five whole weeks! They were seriously that good.
The sweet potatoes are tossed in chili powder and cumin to give them a little heat, then roasted to bring out their natural sweetness. The ingredients here (black beans, red onions, sweet potatoes, and avocados) go together nicely, but you can also experiment with different toppings. Try adding a little hot sauce for heat, a little shredded meat for some extra protein, or a little cheese for, well, do you really need a reason to add cheese to anything? 🙂 Let your taste buds be your guide – Enjoy!
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 ½ cups black beans (two 14 ounce cans rinsed and drained)
- 2 avocadoes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 cups cooked rice
- *Shredded or chopped cooked chicken, pork, or beef
- Hot sauce or Siraccha
- Lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss sweet potato pieces in olive oil, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast in oven until soft and slightly brown on the edges, about 25 minutes.
- Spoon a cup of rice into 4 bowls. Assemble bowls by dividing remaining ingredients up equally between each of the four bowls.
- Garnish to taste with optional toppings - Enjoy!
Not sure where to go next? Read my story or try a 2Teaspoon's favorite: