Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all had a great time celebrating! Chris and I enjoyed a night out with friends, topped off with beautiful fireworks over the water in Old Alexandria! Did you have any big New Year’s Eve plans last night, or make any New Year’s resolutions? I’d love to hear how you celebrated, and how your year is going to be fantastic! Shout them out in the comments below!
As much as I love all the holiday desserts, drinks, and other decadent deliciousness, I’ve started to wonder if I’ll ever be hungry again. Today I’m sharing a recipe for one of my favorite salads – it’s both a delicious and nutritious way to ring in the New Year!
This chicken salad is no mere picnic side dish. It’s packed with flavor and can stand on it’s own as a light, but hearty meal. The chicken is cooked in advance until just done – ensuring it’s moist all the way through. Buttery cashews, sweet apples, juicy bell peppers, shredded carrots, and green onions, make this salad colorful, crunchy, and moist.
And the dressing! Protein-packed Greek yogurt makes a healthy, tangy base, which is flavored with curry, ginger, and a touch of honey. Yummy!
This salad is best enjoyed on a bed of baby spinach or a hearty sandwich roll. Enjoy, and Happy New Year everyone!
And don’t forget to tell us all about your New Year’s plans and resolutions 🙂
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 2 granny smith apples, pealed, cored and diced
- ½-¾ cup cashews, chopped
- ¾ cup unsweetened greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- pinch of salt
- 6 ounces by weight baby spinach or 4-6 sandwich rolls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Toss chicken pieces in olive oil and garlic, arrange in a single layer in a baking dish, cover in foil, and bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large bowl toss chicken with peppers, green onions, carrots, apples, and cashews. Pour dressing over salad and stir gently until evenly coated.
- Serve over a bed of baby spinach or on sandwich rolls. Store leftover salad in a sealed container in the frig.