I love Indian food and I love love love korma!
If you love Indian food you’ll love this recipe. If you’ve never tried Indian food, this chicken korma recipe is the perfect way to start. And why wouldn’t you start. Indian food is soooo good.
Korma is not spicy. Instead, it’s packed with subtle and interesting flavors. Ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, curry powder, turmeric, paprika, and cardamom. Oh my! I heart the spice aisle 🙂
Each spice adds a nice flavor to this recipe, but feel free to adjust or substitute the spices to fit your taste buds. Or to fit the spices you have on hand. For me, the new spice in this mix was cardamom. I was able to find whole cardamom seeds and they added a great burst of flavor.
My cashew and coconut milk combination is delicious, but this recipe is very versatile. The cashews can be switched up for almonds or any other nut you love, and you can try using heavy cream or milk instead of coconut milk.
This recipe is simple to make, it’s not too spicy, and the sauce is rich, creamy, and nutty. It’s just exotic enough to spice up dinner. Enjoy!
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated (you can also use 2 teaspoons ground ginger)
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin, coriander, curry powder, sugar
- 2 teaspoons turmeric, paprika, salt
- optional, but highly recommended: ⅛ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¾ cup cashews + extra for topping
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro + extra for topping
- 1⅔ cup coconut milk (this is 1 14 ounce can) or heavy cream
- 1 cup unsweetened plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- Combine all spices and divide approximately in half. Dice chicken into bit-sized pieces and toss in one half of the spices, set aside.
- Stir other half of spices into tomato sauce, set aside.
- In a food processor or blender grind ¾ cup cashews and ¼ cup cilantro until they form a coarse powder like bread crumbs, set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and ginger and sauté until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chicken and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, turn heat down to low, and cover. Let simmer until chicken is fully cooked, about 10-15 minutes. Uncover, and stir in milk, yogurt, and ground cashews. Simmer on low until thick, about 20-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with extra cashews and cilantro before serving.